Washington, D.C.: the Nation’s Capital Beckons You
Washington D.C. the district where the headquarters of the US Government is located is filled with attractions. Do you remember what you may have learned in school as a youngster? It is an interesting area of the country you should see if at all possible.
Let history come alive as your family takes a summer vacation in Washington, D.C. There are so many places to visit you probably won’t be able to see them all unless you have an extended stay.
Even so, there will be plenty to do next time you visit the Nation’s Capital. In the mean time, here are some highlights that you can consider as you embark on this historic journey.
First, check out the many hotel packages available. One of the recommended hotels suited for families is the Hilton Garden Inn. Just minutes from the White House are Smithsonian Museums, Metro Subway Station, and the National Mall.
You’ll also find the National and Warner Theaters, Fords Theater, Union Station, and the International Spy Museum you will be able to rest in the Hilton hotel’s deluxe accommodations.
The Hilton Garden Inn has an on-site restaurant that serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner daily. In addition, if you feel like eating in, the hotel offers microwaveable packages items which can be prepared in your room.
Moreover, there are many restaurants in the area you can visit, all of which that are located close to the hotel.
There are Lots of Places to Visit in Washington D.C.
More importantly, however, are the number of places you should visit while in Washington, D.C. Here is a partial list for your consideration:
* The Washington Monument is spectacular and you can view the entire city by taking an elevator to the top of the monument.
* The Lincoln Monument is breathtaking. As you walk up the steps to the enormous statue of Lincoln, you will experience a chill of excitement.
* Spend a day at Six Flags America with the kids. This is a great time to take a rest from all the sightseeing and just have a good time on the more than one-hundred rides and shows available. If this is similar to Six Flags Magic Mountain (same company) here in Southern California your kids will have a really exciting time.
* You may also want to sign up for a tour of Washington’s home in Mt. Vernon. This very large estate is a wonderful learning experience for the kids, and will not be forgotten any time soon.
* Spend a half-day at Rock Creek National Park where the National Zoo houses over 400 species of animals and admission is free.
* Take the family to see the largest collection of spacecraft in the world at the National Air and Space Museum. In addition, there are planetarium shows and life-size exhibits that will keep your kids occupied for hours.
* Check out the giant dinosaur skeletons at the National Museum of Natural History. The museum also houses the famous Hope Diamond. There is also a special room for kids where they can actually touch exhibits.
There are many more Sights to See and Visit
While these are just a few of the highlights that await you, there are other sites that you may wish to visit as well. (Age appropriate for children) The Vietnam Memorial, The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, and Arlington National Cemetery.
Then there is also the Capitol, Library of Congress, Jefferson Memorial, National Cathedral, Supreme Court Building. When all is said and done, Washington, D.C. is a wonderful place where kids can visit historic sites.
They can learn about our government and history. They can also visit other venues where they can just be themselves and have a great time! They will remember this vacation all their lives.
About the Author