Durban South Africa Tips You should Know
There are tons of places that are beautiful in South Africa and Durban is no exception. The night life is incredible and vibrant and going out to the Beach is extremely fun in general. However like every rose has it’s thorn’s, here Durban is no exception.
The following tips are meant for foreign travelers so please take heed:
- Do not carry your wallet stacked with money in the back pocket of your jeans or anywhere visible. Make sure the clothes you wear is comfortable and loose, since it’s hot overall, but it will also disguise where you have your wallet or personal effects that are important to you.
- If you are ever accosted by the local Africans for any reason, please do not be a hero and try anything (unless you have a massive gun :p) or else you will get stabbed or shot in most circumstances. People who are poor and have no income tend not worry about other people’s circumstances and are generally violent if they need to rob people. If you are a Caucasian person, the fact remains due to the Apartheid Era a lot of older Africans hold grudges against the Boers and white people that oppressed them. The fact that it’s a new generation and a different government doesn’t mean anything to them. They still kill people on whim for nothing even to this day. So do not give them reason to find you as their target.
- When you visit clubs at night, please be careful of the surrounding areas and always make sure you travel in groups or pairs. Your best bet is t take a taxi from the one club to the next unless the next club is a few doors down.
- Remember to take sunscreen. This is vitally important as the weather can get up to 37 Degrees on most days. Average temperature through summer is 30 Degrees and in Winter 27 Degrees.
- Remember to bring your costume and an extra bag that is empty since you will return home with many interesting wares that you will purchase from local stalls and shops.
Overall South Africa is fantastic, you just need to be aware of it’s dangers.